Christ Church Methodist, Long Eaton


The first building on the site was a single storey school and mission room opened on 29 March 1887. The front elevation was described as “slightly ornamental with little of an unnecessary character.” The cost was £1,100.  This is the single storey building that fronts on to College Street,
The main church and schoolroom building was opened on the 4th October 1904. The Long Eaton Advertiser published a special supplement and this description is taken from their reports.
“It is a distinctive building quite unlike most Methodist churches following the pattern of a typical Anglican church being built of stone with a conspicuous tower, nave, chancel and transepts. The architects were Messrs. Brewill and Bailey of Nottingham.
The exterior of the church if of hammer-dressed sandstone from Coxbench near Derby, the same stone used for Kedleston Hall. The windows are of sandstone from Hollington in Staffordshire. The interior is oolitic limestone from Corsham Down near Bath. The church seats 650 and the pews are in English oak and the seats of Orham wood, a species of elm imported from Canada. The nave roof is of English oak, framed and braced. The chancel floor of Belgian black marble from Namur in Wallonia. Other parts are in Verde Antico marble from Greece. The back of the communion table is alabaster. The stained glass window in the chancel is representative of the creation and has the words “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof” inscribed underneath.
The church is lighted by electricity, the pendants each of ten lights, suspended from the roof.
Great care has been taken with acoustics and the heating and the vitiated air is drawn to the centre of the church and passed through an improved trunk to a large fan driven by electricity under the chancel floor.
The total cost was £11,000. The site cost £1,080, the school premises were £2,500 and the
church premises cost was £7,420.”
In 1980 the church was refashioned in order to reduce running costs. A suspended ceiling was put in and
a partition wall erected to cut off the chancel area. The organ was resited to the gallery. The window is still there if you know where to look.